Easily upload your company logo for it to appear on the test interface and candidate pages. This is free as standard on all tests. If you want something a bit more "wow", we also offer full platform branding and a bespoke custom test building service.
Concepts™ Critical Thinking
- Instant online results
- Benchmark against others
- Legally defensible non-biased assessment
- Reliably identify high-performers with up to 90% accuracy
- Time Limit:
- 24 mins
- Adaptive Online Test
- All Job Levels
- 3 credits
About The Concepts™ Critical Thinking Test
Critical thinking is the ability to apply clear and reasoned thinking to solving problems. Critical thinking is a major facet of general cognitive ability, the strongest overall predictor of job performance. As a result, critical thinking tests are powerful predictors of performance at work, especially in combination with other aptitude tests.
The Concepts Critical Thinking Test is the latest development in aptitude testing technology. The test uses computer adaptive testing to increase accuracy, reduce administration time and improve candidate experience. The test's adaptive testing technology tailors question difficulties to the candidate’s performance, honing in on the candidate's true level of ability. Candidates are never bored by easy questions, or stressed out by overly difficult questions. Instead, every candidate’s test is challenging and engaging, but not overwhelming.
The Concepts Critical Thinking Test consists of 24 questions and takes around 20 minutes to complete, with a maximum time limit of 1 minute per question.
The Concepts Critical Thinking Test's adaptive testing protocol enables its use at every level of recruitment. Because the test's question bank contains hundreds of questions of varying difficulty, candidates at every ability level can be tested, from entry level staff to senior managers. However, the Concepts Critical Thinking Test is primarily designed for roles requiring a high level of critical thinking, such as legal professions, senior management, sales and consultancy.
Combining Cognitive Tests
To complement the Concepts Critical Thinking Test, adaptive reasoning tests from our Insights suite can be used. The Insights suite includes the following tests:
1) Insights™ Numerical: Insights Numerical measures numerical reasoning, the ability to understand, interpret and logically evaluate numerical information. Insights Numerical evaluates a candidate’s ability to perform calculations, solve numerical problems, and use numerical data to make real world decisions.
2) Insights™ Verbal: Insights Verbal measures verbal reasoning, the ability to understand, interpret and logically evaluate written information. Insights Inductive evaluates a candidate’s ability to work with written information both at the individual word level of analysis and the sentence / paragraph level of analysis.
3) Insights™ Inductive: Insights Inductive measures inductive reasoning, the ability to identify patterns, solve problems and apply logical thinking. Insights Inductive presents candidates with a series of logical sequences, requiring candidates to inductively identify the underlying pattern and select the next diagram in the sequence.
When combining two or more cognitive tests, the individual scores aggregate into a measure of general cognitive ability, the strongest predictor of job performance. The more tests used, the more accurate the measure, and thus the stronger its predictive power.
How Adaptive Testing Works
Adaptive testing is the pinnacle of psychometric testing theory and practice. Avoiding overly easy or hard questions (for that specific candidate) vastly increases accuracy, generating a larger return on investment. Adaptive testing also reduce administration time, thus reducing the burden on candidates. This is how our Adaptive Reasoning Assessment suite works, from start to finish:
1) Starting Point: All candidates start with a question of average difficulty for the relevant population, randomly selected from our question banks.
2) Question Administration: If the candidate gets the first question correct, a slightly harder question is administered. If the candidate gets the first question wrong, a slightly easier question is administered. As the candidate progresses, the test hones in on their level of ability. This continues until the candidate completes their test.
3) Finishing the Test: Once the test is completed, the candidate’s final score is calculated. This score is calculated using cutting edge Item Response theory (IRT) principles, taking into account both the difficulty of the questions and the number of correct answers provided. Their score is then benchmarked against the chosen norm group, and reported to the client.
Using the Concepts Critical Thinking Test
The Concepts Critical Thinking Test is a powerful psychometric instrument with considerable predictive validity, accuracy and precision. A candidate’s score is predictive of performance in any role, but especially in complex roles. However, using multiple Adaptive Reasoning Assessments will increase predictive power beyond the Concepts Critical Thinking Test in isolation. For maximum return on investment, as many Adaptive Reasoning Assessments should be incorporated as possible.
The Concepts Critical Thinking Test and the Adaptive Reasoning Suite can be used during any stage in the selection process. However, the Adaptive Reasoning suite generates the largest return on investment during early stage recruitment, especially the initial stage. This is because selection tools validity is directly proportional to selection pool size. To simply put it, the more people you test, the more valid the results.
Additionally, using the Insights Suite during an assessment centre is also useful. This is particularly true if candidates have already taken Adaptive Reasoning Assessments earlier in the selection process, and require re-testing for verification.
Although the Concepts Critical Thinking Test and other critical thinking tests are powerful predictive tools, no single selection tool should be used in isolation. Ideally, organisations should incorporate at least three distinct selection tools, each evaluating the three key elements which impact performance at work i.e. cognitive ability, personality and skills / knowledge. Leaving one or more of these aspects unmeasured reduces the usefulness of any selection process. We recommend that any selection process incorporates aptitude testing, personality testing and interviewing, ensuring a well-rounded selection process.
Advantages Of The Concepts Critical Thinking Test
1) Accurate: Our item response theory calibrated computer adaptive tests are among the most scientifically robust critical thinking tests available. Few other critical thinking tests can match the accuracy of the Concepts Critical Thinking Test.
2) Predictive: Our Adaptive Reasoning Assessments are highly predictive of workplace performance. Relying solely on unstructured interviews is little better than random guessing. The Concepts Critical Thinking Test can vastly augment your selection process, enhancing validity.
3) Quick: The computer adaptive testing protocol allows reduced administration time without compromising psychometric rigour. Our Adaptive Reasoning tests typically take between 8-12 minutes to complete, but with the reliability of tests twice as long.
4) Secure: Our question banks consist of hundreds of questions, and every candidate is given a unique testing experience. Therefore, candidates can’t simply print screen their test and share it with other candidates, it would be a waste of time.
5) Cost-effective: When used to its full potential, the Adaptive Reasoning suite generates significant return on investment. High performers make money, low performer cost money. Organisations simply cannot afford to reject the former and hire the latter.
6) Engaging: Our adaptive testing protocol keeps candidates engaged by issuing questions commensurate with their ability. Candidates are never bored or overwhelmed, guaranteeing an ideal candidate experience.
7) Customisable: Looking for specific type of question? Critical thinking tests unique to your organisation? Test Partnership can provide high quality bespoke and customised assessments both cheaply and quickly.
8) Accessible: After registering with us for free, which only takes a minute of two, clients can start testing candidates ASAP. We do not charge for platform access, we have no psychometric training requirements, just high quality and easily accessible psychometric tools.
Concepts Critical Thinking Test Reporting
Reports are automatically generated upon test completion, reporting the candidate’s score benchmarked against the chosen norm group. Norm groups are collected scores from specific populations. In total, almost 10,000 people provided data for the Concepts Critical Thinking Test's calibration and norm groups, providing some of the largest norm groups in the industry. Clients are given the option of following norm groups:
1) Legal Professionals
2) Management Consultants
3) Executives and Senior Managers
4) Middle Managers
5) First-Line Managers
6) Sales and Related Professionals
7) Finance, Accountancy and Actuarial Professionals
8) Administrative and Secretarial Professionals
9) Engineering, Science and Technology Professionals
11) General Population
12) Health Professionals
Pricing and Bulk Discounts
Test Partnership operates on a credit system. Credits are only debited for completed tests, so clients aren’t charged for incomplete tests and dropouts. There are no hidden costs, no costs for platform access or associated training, just a straightforward, pay-as-you-go structure. We have a bulk discount system, please visit the Pricing page for more details. Alternatively, for RPOs, resellers and solutions partners, please contact us directly for flexible options.
Bespoke Options and Customisation
Test Partnership are well positioned to provide bespoke psychometric tests and related services. From minor tweaks to a fully bespoke assessment systems, anything is possible. Please visit our Services section to see our bespoke and customisation options.
Need something a bit special? We specialise in adapting these standard tests and building bespoke tests for organisations. Let us help you select the best candidates with the best tests. To discuss your bespoke test requirements please get in touch.
Instant Online Setup
Create a project and begin testing your candidates within seconds. You can register an account and create a project right now all through our online platform. No waiting for approval or for drawn-out sales pitches. Get started now for instant access.
For Use By
& Team Leaders
Consultants & RPOs
From startup level to enterprise level, our tests still predict people's performance. That's why we've supplied organisations large and small, public and private, one-off and RPOs. We don't require you to have BPS training to buy our tests; our consultants are all fully qualified so we can help anyone regardless of their background or experience.
Critical Thinking Test Advice For Candidates
Ensuring that candidates perform to the best of their ability during their test is in the interest of everyone involved. Therefore, ensuring that all candidates are fully prepared and ready for their psychometric test is imperative, helping increase the fairness of the selection process. Test Partnership has the following top tips for candidates wishing to prepare for, and succeed at, a critical thinking test:
1. Ask about the test: Critical thinking tests vary between test publishers, so it's worthwhile asking about the format of the test and even for some sample questions. Some test publishers call these tests 'deductive reasoning'. You should know who publishes the test, how long it will last, and what sort of questions will be asked.
2. Read ALL the instructions: It may seem intuitive, but many candidates skip important information in a panic. Always take the time to read all information presented to you during, and prior to, your critical thinking test. Information regarding time limits, correct answers and interpreting information could be vital to answering questions correctly.
3. Practise: Research has found that cognitive ability test validity increases when candidates have practised beforehand. This may be because it helps prevent silly mistakes and pre-test anxiety, which may distort the candidate's true ability. Pre-test practice is in the interests of the employer and the candidate, and cheap or free practice tests can be found online.
4. Download an up-to-date web browser: Modern psychometric tests are conducted online via specially designed test platforms. These platforms will often require an up-to-date version of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari or other modern internet browser. Candidates are advised to ensure their operating system meets the test provider's requirements and they have a stable internet connection.
5. Stay calm: Tests are notorious provokers of anxiety and critical thinking tests are no exception. Preparing beforehand, getting plenty of sleep and not leaving taking the test to the last minute can all serve to limit test anxiety and help promote good performance.
6. Reasonable adjustments: If you require extra time or any other adjustment to your test or test environment, you must inform the organisation as soon as possible. Employers are obliged to provide reasonable adjustments to cater to disability, however letting them know as soon as possible will help ensure the organisation is able to make the required adjustments in time. We recommended that you provide evidence of disability in the case of extra time allocation, such as a psychologist's report or assessment result.
How does it all work?
First you create an account. Once logged in you make a project which contains the tests you want your candidates to take. Next you invite candidates to take your tests. Candidates take their tests online (this can be in your office or remotely from home; it doesn't matter). As soon as each candidate finishes their tests you can see their results online.
For a step-by-step guide please see our Quick Start Guide.
How much does it cost?
Each test is three 'credits' and credits cost less the more you buy. Have a look at our pricing page for more details.
We're in Australia / Malaysia / Netherlands / Anywhere. Does it matter?
No; our tests are all done online so as long as you have a stable internet connection you can be anywhere in the world. Every day we supply tests to people all over the world. We can also translate our tests into other languages but that's an extra service.
Can you white label your tests?
Yes. Please speak to us.
Do you have an API?
Yes. Please speak to us.
How hard are the questions?
We have questions for all levels and our adaptive test technology automatically adjusts the difficulty of each test according to the candidate's performance. If they get a question right the next question is slightly harder, and if they get a question wrong the next question is slightly easier. You can read more about the adaptive technology behind our tests here.
Can we have paper copies of the questions?
No. That would defeat the whole point of an adaptive test. Our tests automatically draw questions from a large item bank which means each candidate sees questions tailored to their ability. This means our tests are secure and difficult to cheat.
Do you have this test in other languages?
No sorry. But as an extra service we can translate it for you.
Register a free account now and be testing within minutes.Start Now